Why Speed Skating?
Wondering why you should consider speed skating for your family?
Here are a few reasons why we think it is special:
Speed skating is a sport that can travel up to 50km/hr. It elevates the heart rate, develops muscle and balance, and builds self confidence.
Speed skating promotes team camaraderie and excellence among individual members, and skaters build friendships with other clubs on the competition circuit. There is a culture of collaboration and respect among skaters.
Coaching for life
Speed skating coaches foster an environment for personal bests, reducing the competition to perform between club members. Coaches teach leadership skills for life.
All ages and genders typically compete at the same meets, which means families don’t have to travel in different directions with their kids. Many speed skating families say that their family weekends together at competitions is one of their favourite aspects of the sport.
What’s more – in speed skating, nobody gets left on the bench!
Benefits for Registering
Joining our speed skating club provides many benefits:
- Builds confidence. When playing a sport, children have the opportunity to show their skills, gain greater self-awareness, and enjoy an activity that they love the most.
- Provides consistent exercise. Most kids have too much screen time and not enough hands-on activity. Sports commits your child to regular exercise, which contributes to overall physical health.
- Develops relationships. Children build friendships with other children and their coaches, which is a great way for your child to expand their social skills and understand expectations.
- Contributes to stronger academics. Children who play sports are more apt to stronger academic achievement. Through sports, kids learn the importance of time management and discipline.
- Helps put winning into perspective. This can be a real sore subject for some kids. Participating in sports gives kids the opportunity to gain an understanding of both winning and losing, as well as they recognize the value of personal best.
- Teaches respect. In sports, children learn to respect other authoritative figures, such as coaches, referees and parents, as well as their peers.
- Encourages family involvement. Your child is not the only one who will benefit from participation in sports. Moms, dads and siblings can attend competitions and cheer each other on, providing a bonding opportunity for the whole family.
Our Club offers incentives for our skaters to encourage their participation in speed skating events. Here are a few incentives:
- Skater Subsidy – Skaters who qualify for the competitions listed on the Skater Subsidy Form receive a daily stipend of $75/competition day to offset the cost of travel expenses.
- Camp Rebate – Skaters who join a summer camp receive a $50 rebate (Camp Rebate Form) on their September registration fee.